[R-sig-ME] Is it ok to use lmer() for an ordered categorical (5 levels) response variable?

Nicolas Deguines n|codegu|ne@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Mar 6 15:00:32 CET 2019

Hello Phillip and all,

Thanks a lot Phillip for your very interesting and useful answer, and for
the paper from Liddell & Kruschke. It helps a lot.

About trying other link and threshold functions in clmm: no huge difference
in my case unfortunately. I tried different combinations of each.
'equidistant' did do better, but the improvement was far from enough.

I computed density plots for my response variable as observed and as
predicted from my lmer() model (similar to what Liddell and Kruschke do in
Figure 6): the linear mixed-model does pretty well in fitting the data.
=> so I'd be enclined to trust the results from my lmer models in the
present case (but Liddell and Kruschke did show very clear cases when a
linear model fit very poorly the ordinal data).

Meanwhile, I thought of another alternative for analyzing this response
variable and I would be curious to read what people may think about it.
Before presenting that alternative, I need to say more about that 5-levels
response variable.
It is a score built by Muratet and Fontaine (2015)* to assess the
naturalness of a given private backyard (it is shown to be correlated with
higher abundance of butterflies).
In the backyard: fallow area, nettles (*Urtica dioica*), ivy (*Hedera helix*),
and brambles (*Rubus spp.*) are each scored one if present, and the
naturalness index was computed as the sum of these scores.
=> it results in a 5-levels ordinal variable because it can go from 0 to 4,
and each increase in 1 means a backyard with more features of 'naturalness'.
I wonder thus if this could be modelled using a glmer() with family =
binomial and feeding to the model two columns: cbind(sum of 1's, sum of
0's) (see R documentation for family{stats}, in the Details: "*As a
two-column integer matrix: the first column gives the number of successes
and the second the number of failures.*")
I will try and see how the model fit the data. But I would be interested in
getting a theoretical opinion.

I hope this can help others too

Best regards,
Nicolas Deguines

*
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0006320714004704?via%3Dihub

Postdoctoral Research Associate
Laboratoire Ecologie, Systématique et Evolution
Université Paris Sud, Orsay, France
Website: http://nicolasdeguines.weebly.com/