[R-sig-ME] Is it ok to use lmer() for an ordered categorical (5 levels) response variable?

Emmanuel Curis emm@nue|@cur|@ @end|ng |rom p@r|@de@c@rte@@|r
Wed Mar 6 15:11:17 CET 2019

Hello Nicolas,

Each of your individual item is a Bernoulli variable. So the
background seems in favor of a binomial law if you can assume

 - that probability of each of the 5 items of the score is the same

 - that these events are independant.

If both are true, then the total score should be exactly a binomial
variable. Otherwise, it's not clear that the result should be a
binomial. But it may be worth trying the results it gives!