[R-sig-ME] Is it ok to use lmer() for an ordered categorical (5 levels) response variable?

Phillip Alday ph||||p@@|d@y @end|ng |rom mp|@n|
Tue Mar 5 13:04:04 CET 2019

Hi Nicolas,

How much you can get away bending the assumptions depends in some ways
on how well the resulting model fits your data. If the resulting model
is a poor fit, then it's not a great model for performing inference. The
other problem with bending assumptions is that a lot of 'error
statistics' (standard errors, t-values, and basically anything related
to significance testings) aren't guaranteed to do what they are supposed
to do. (In your case, the good behavior of your residuals suggests that
this won't be a huge problem, but there are no promises.)

You can get around this a bit by doing things like cross-validation or
other inferential steps based on how well the model generalizes to /
predicts new data instead of significance testing of coefficients or
linear hypotheses.

John Kruschke has written about this issue at some length and seems
convinced that it's (almost) always a bad idea to bend the
metric/continuous assumption when dealing with ordinal data:

http://doingbayesiandataanalysis.blogspot.com/2017/12/which-movie-is-rated-better-dont-treat.html

http://doingbayesiandataanalysis.blogspot.com/2018/09/analyzing-ordinal-data-with-metric.html

The latter is largely a link/"press release" for the associated paper:

Liddell, T. M., & Kruschke, J. K. (2018). Analyzing ordinal data with
metric models: What could possibly go wrong? Journal of Experimental
Social Psychology , 79 , 328–348. doi:10.1016/j.jesp.2018.08.009

Finally, have you tried other link and threshold functions in clmm?
Those can make a huge difference!

Phillip