[R-sig-ME] Simulating Cluster RCTs

Kevin E. Thorpe kevin@thorpe @ending from utoronto@c@
Fri Jun 1 14:53:14 CEST 2018

Hi All.

Apologies if this is the wrong list but after searching I have not found
what I am looking for.

I would like (mainly for teaching) to be able to simulate cluster RCTs
with continuous and binary outcomes. It appears to me that
simulate.merMod in lme4 may be one way to do this. Unfortunately, I am a
bit lost in the help file. For one thing, in the newparams argument, I
have no idea what theta is.

Also, in the simulations I would like to be able to specify an ICC to
control the clustering effect as well as the usual things (e.g. mean
response in the control group, treatment effect, number of clusters and
cluster sizes).

I would be most appreciative for any guidance or examples of this type
of simulation, either with simulate.merMod or other approaches.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Kevin

--
Kevin E. Thorpe
Head of Biostatistics,  Applied Health Research Centre (AHRC)