[R-sig-ME] Phylogenetic Logistic Regression for non-binary data: best practices and programs?

Paul Buerkner p@ul@buerkner @ending from gm@il@com
Thu May 31 22:31:24 CEST 2018

Hi John,

See https://psyarxiv.com/x8swp/ for a detailed introduction to ordinal
models. For your data I think the cumulative() family probably makes the
most sense among the ordinal families.

Please keep in mind that ordinal models do not "automatically" categorized
the response. You have to categorize it yourself.

Paul

> [...]
>> three separate processes (0, 1, and everything in between).
>>
>> Alternatively, and probably something I would prefer for your data, one
>> could model the data using an ordinal distribution. This will require the
>> values between 0 and 1 to be brokenup into (not too many) discrete
>> categories,
>> which will lead to some information loss but at least is more informative
>> than a simple 0 1 treatement as in logistic regression.
>>
>> You can fit all of these models above in combination with phylogenetic
>> structures using the brms R package (some are available in MCMCglmm as
>> well). Type vignette("brms_phylogenetics") in R for more details.
>>
>> Best,
>> Paul

>>> Hi Listserv,
>>>
>>> I am new to this type of work and have tried to make this as clear as
>>> possible.
>>>
>>> I am working on a project that models habitat use (y = ground(0) vs.
>>> tree(1)) and body size (x = body size, continuous). My y variables are
>>> from
>>> the formula:
>>>
>>>  y=((tree captures / tree effort)) / (tree captures / tree effort) +
>>> (ground captures / ground effort)
>>>
>>> which should provide a ratio of captures in a given habitat while
>>> accounting for effort. My y values are mostly binary, but some species'
>>> values are between 0 and 1. The data look like this example:
>>>
>>> y = c(0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0.25, 0.4, 0.6, 0.9, 0.9, 1, 1, 1, 1)
>>>
>>> My goal for the model is to use the species with known habitat "scores"
>>> predict the habitat value (y) of species from their body size value (x).
>>>
>>> There are 2 "random" effects in the model, the relatedness of the species
>>> (the phylogeny, Rp) and the intraspecific variation of the x measurement
>>> (Rs). These are both very important as my 150 data points are distributed
>>> between 22 species.
>>>
>>> Using logistic regression, the model takes the form: logit (Pr ( Y = 1 ))
>>> =  a +  Bx + Rp + Rs +  e
>>>
>>> I have two questions for the group. First, is it appropriate to use
>>> logistic regression (or a logit link) on these kinds of non-binary y
>>> values? I have found several examples online of logistic regression with
>>> non-binary variables (links below) but I have not found a publication
>>> with
>>> a study design like mine.
>>>
>>> Second, any suggestions of programs for setting up the model? I am
>>> interested in using a bayesian glmm method (MCMCglmm, jags, etc.),
>>> however
>>> I am worried that the programs will view these data as non-binary and
>>> either insist on an ordinal regression (not what I am doing) or otherwise
>>> provide categorical groupings on the response variable and produce
>>> strange
>>> results. Can any glmm program handle my Rp, Rs, and the non-binary nature
>>> of the y variables?
>>>
>>> I hope this is clear. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thanks

>>> model-between-logit-probit-and-nls?rq=1
>>> https://stats.stackexchange.com/questions/69886/using-logist