[R-sig-ME] Simulating Cluster RCTs

Ulf Köther ukoether @ending from uke@de
Fri Jun 1 22:54:57 CEST 2018

Hi Kevin,

I think that a more appropriate way to achieve your goal is to have a
look at a library that explicitly deals with the simulation of data.
Especially, you should look into the "simstudy" package, which is
developed by Keith Goldfield, which is, as I recall it, clearly able to
do what you want:

The package:

https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/simstudy/index.html

Goldfield's blog about generating data using simstudy:

https://www.rdatagen.net/

His posts about clustered data:

https://www.rdatagen.net/page/clustered/

Good luck,

Ulf

Am 01.06.2018 um 14:53 schrieb Kevin E. Thorpe:
> Hi All.
>
> Apologies if this is the wrong list but after searching I have not found
> what I am looking for.
>
> I would like (mainly for teaching) to be able to simulate cluster RCTs
> with continuous and binary outcomes. It appears to me that
> simulate.merMod in lme4 may be one way to do this. Unfortunately, I am a
> bit lost in the help file. For one thing, in the newparams argument, I
> have no idea what theta is.
>
> Also, in the simulations I would like to be able to specify an ICC to
> control the clustering effect as well as the usual things (e.g. mean
> response in the control group, treatment effect, number of clusters and
> cluster sizes).
>
> I would be most appreciative for any guidance or examples of this type
> of simulation, either with simulate.merMod or other approaches.
>
> Thank you in advance for your time.
>
> Kevin

Universitätsklinikum Hamburg-Eppendorf; Körperschaft des öffentlichen Rechts; Gerichtsstand: Hamburg | www.uke.de
Vorstandsmitglieder: Prof. Dr. Burkhard Göke (Vorsitzender), Prof. Dr. Dr. Uwe Koch-Gromus, Joachim Prölß, Martina Saurin (komm.)