[R-sig-ME] Multivariate Regression with Crossed Random Effects

Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (SP) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Sat Apr 21 20:14:09 CEST 2018

Hi David,

This is possible. Structure your dataset so it has all outcomes in a single column and have a second variable indicate the outcome. Let's say 3 outcomes have been measured 4 times in a bunch of subjects. Then:

subject  time  outcome   y
1        1     1         .
1        1     2         .
1        1     3         .
1        2     1         .
1        2     2         .
1        2     3         .
1        3     1         .
1        3     2         .
1        3     3         .
1        4     1         .
1        4     2         .
1        4     3         .
2        1     1         .

Then one could use for example this model:

lmer(y ~ factor(time)*factor(outcome) + (factor(outcome) - 1 | subject), data=dat)

This is a model with a saturated mean structure and random effects for all outcome levels with an 'unstructured' var-cov matrix.

One could go even one step further and allow an unstructured var-cov matrix for the errors among the outcomes at each time point. That's possible with lme() from the nlme package with:

lme(y ~ factor(time)*factor(outcome), random = ~ factor(outcome) - 1 | subject, correlation = corSymm(form = ~ 1 | subject/time), weights = varIdent(form = ~ 1 | outcome), data=dat)

If you do this with 25 outcomes, then the var-cov matrix for the outcome random effects will have 325 parameters. And the same number of parameters for the var-cov matrix for the errors. Fitting such a model would require (a) tons of data and (b) a lot of patience.

Best,
Wolfgang