[R-sig-ME] Multivariate Regression with Crossed Random Effects

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 20:56:49 CEST 2018

The ways to "cheat" with 2 variables (i.e., convert the data set to
long/melted format; use the index of the original observation as a
grouping variable) should in principle extend to an arbitrary number
of responses. The problem will be that estimating the 25x25
variance-covariance matrix will be difficult. (Classical MANOVA
approaches make the assumption of sphericity:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauchly%27s_sphericity_test )  You could
use a method (MCMCglmm, glmmTMB, lme) that allows you to constrain the
variance-covariance matrix (e.g. compound symmetric), or a Bayesian
method with a prior on the variance-covariance matrix ...