[R-sig-ME] alternative suggestions to glmmTMB family=beta

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 18:25:17 CEST 2018

What is bmt? numeric or factor? if factor, how many levels does it
have?  If numeric, centering the predictor often helps.

 - the mgcv package can fit beta-distributed responses; I'm not sure
if it does "unstructured" (general positive-definite)
variance-covariance matrices or not. (It doesn't seem straightforward:
https://stat.ethz.ch/R-manual/R-devel/library/mgcv/html/random.effects.html)

 - you could take the good old-fashioned approach of
logit-transforming your responses and fitting a linear model

 - you could try simplifying the model: i.e. perhaps a diagonal
(diag(bmt|studyid)) or compound-symmetric (cs(bmt|studyid))
variance-covariance model would be adequate?

 - as a last resort, or if you're really attached to this particular
model, you could try to understand precisely which parameters are
flat/strongly correlated.  If you want to do that, respond here and I
(or Mollie Brooks) can try to talk you through extracting the Hessian
of the fit and figuring out which components/directions are
non-positive ...