[R-sig-ME] Fwd: alternative suggestions to glmmTMB family=beta

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 19:47:21 CEST 2018

(resending: pix were embedded, so the message got bounced)

  A couple of things here:

  (1) fitting (bmt | studyid) is very ambitious if bmt is a factor with 10
levels - that means fitting a 10x10 variance-covariance matrix (55
variance-covariance parameters).   OK if you have a giant data set, but
otherwise (a) consider structured (compound symmetric or diagonal) var-cov
matrix; (b) use brms package (which does have beta distribution, and
allows/requires a prior on the variance-covariance matrix which will make
things better).

  (2) the marginal distribution not looking right doesn't necessarily mean
the residual distribution isn't OK for linear models.

 cheers
   Ben Bolker