[R-sig-ME] mixed model for nested factor?

Thierry Onkelinx thierry.onkelinx at inbo.be
Tue May 9 10:03:29 CEST 2017

In this case, use the coding as I suggested. The interaction with season
will take care of the difference in warming.

Is a linear trend along year a reasonable assumption? If yes, you can use
year as continuous. If no, use it as a factor.

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Forest
Kliniekstraat 25
1070 Anderlecht
Belgium

~ John Tukey

> Thank you very much for the reply. The 2, 1 and 0 are not the amount of
> warming. They are just codes for the warming strength. Since the warming
> pattern is different in Spring and Fall, I wonder that warming pattern
> (Temp) is nested in Season.
>
> Another concern is how to deal with Year. I hope to test the time effect
> on SOC. Should Year be treated as continuous variable or factor? I recorded
> the exact time of soil sampling.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Best regards,
> Jinsong
>

> On 2017/5/9 2:35, Thierry Onkelinx wrote:
>
>> Dear Jinsong,
>>
>> IMHO you want to detect a potential effect of warming. The amount of
>> warming seems to be less relevant. Therefore I'd recode temperature into a
>> factor with two levels: warming = yes and warming = no.
>> Then add the interaction between warming and season to the model. That
>> will
>> take care of the difference in warming between spring and fall.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> ir. Thierry Onkelinx
>> Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Research Institute for Nature and
>> Forest
>> team Biometrie & Kwaliteitszorg / team Biometrics & Quality Assurance
>> Kliniekstraat 25
>> 1070 Anderlecht
>> Belgium
>>
>> To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no more
>> than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to
>> say
>> what the experiment died of. ~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher
>> The plural of anecdote is not data. ~ Roger Brinner
>> The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does not
>> ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of
>> data.
>> ~ John Tukey

>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> We have conducted an experiments for five years. The experiment is a
>>> completed block design with repeated measures. In detail, there is only
>>> one
>>> factor, i.e., temperature, and the experiments is performed in four
>>> blocks.
>>> In each block, the plot was split into two subplots. One subplot received
>>> two degree warming in Spring, and one degree warming in Fall, the other
>>> subplot didn't received any changes in Spring and Fall. We measured SOC
>>> every Spring and Fall. So we have got data something like:
>>>
>>> SOC, Temp, Season, Year, block
>>> 2.032, 2, Spring, 2007, 1
>>> 1.988, 0, Spring, 2007, 1
>>> 1.977, 1, Fall, 2007, 1