[R-sig-ME] Animal model residual value

Walid walidmawass10 at gmail.com
Mon May 8 17:25:59 CEST 2017

Hi everyone,

I have a question on a certain assumption made regarding the 'animal'
model when implemented in a quantitative genetic study for a trait.
While reading van Benthem et al. (2016), the author mentions that the
residual (environmental) value, in the additive partitioning assumed by
the model, captures plasticity. Does this assumption always hold? or
only in the case where we model the maternal, permanent environment and
common environment?

My question is for the purpose of estimating the plasticity of a fixed
heritable life-history trait (occurs only once during individual
lifetime). Since there are no explicit methods to estimate individual
plasticity in a non-labile trait, I am attempting to see if I can
circumvent this by using the 'animal' model based on the assumption
mentioned above.

Thank you

--
Walid Mawass
Maitrise en Biologie Cellulaire et Moléculaire