[R-sig-ME] Animal model residual value

Pierre de Villemereuil pierre.de.villemereuil at mailoo.org
Mon May 8 23:45:55 CEST 2017

Hi,

It depends on what you call "plasticity". Most often, plasticity is defined as the part of phenotypic variability that varies according to environment. Without an experimental settings or environmental replications, it's very hard to distinguish from random phenotypic variability.

I've heard people considering that the environmental variance is a measure of plasticity, but it seems to me that this is a huge assumption that random variability is negligible, especially if you have only 1 environment.

Cheers,
Pierre.