[R-sig-ME] question on lme4

Phillip Alday Phillip.Alday at unisa.edu.au
Wed Feb 15 08:02:47 CET 2017

Dear Belinda,

(Partial) R^2 is a rather challenging concept for mixed models. Intuitively, correlation (r) is difficult for multilevel models -- do you want the average of all within-group correlations, the overall correlation or something else entirely?  Neither one is "right" or "wrong" but rather answer subtly different questions.This only gets harder when we consider things like Simpson's paradox or models with crossed (whether partially or fully) or nested groups.

This is discussed a bit on the FAQ:

https://rawgit.com/bbolker/mixedmodels-misc/master/glmmFAQ.html#how-do-i-compute-a-coefficient-of-determination-r2-or-an-analogue-for-glmms

The betas (coefficients) are themselves effect sizes -- after all they describe how big a change in the dependent/response variable (i.e. effect) you can expect per unit change in the predictor. If you want them to standardised effect sizes, then you can simply standardise your predictors (which is often recommended practice anyway because it puts all your predictors on the same scale and makes some aspects of model fitting easier) and you'll have an effect size in terms of standard deviations, i.e. similar to Cohen's d. The confidence intervals on the coefficients are then also confidence intervals on your effect size.

This is easy to do in R by the way: simply change

y ~ x1 * x2

y ~ scale(x1) * scale(x2)

(And make sure to do the same thing for the relevant parts of your random-effect structure.)

Best,
Phillip

PS: Ben Bolker is one of the maintainers of lme4, but this mailing list thankfully -- for his sake -- isn't a hotline to him. It's just a collection of people interested in mixed models, especially in R.