[R-sig-ME] Help with Linear Model

Phillip Alday Phillip.Alday at unisa.edu.au
Fri Nov 4 06:06:18 CET 2016

Hi Joseph,

Are you treating year as a continuous variable or a categorical? If you only have three years and one is outlier-isn, it may not make sense to treat them as a continuous variable (whether linear, quadratic or some other form).

Also, 2 sites is not enough levels for a random effect -- remember that RE are variance estimates and it doesn't really make sense to make a variance estimate of two levels. How many blocks do you have per site? Maybe Site:block is sufficient and if need be you can include Site as a nuisance parameter in the fixed effects?

Best,
Phillip