[R-sig-ME] Question about random effects

Reinhold Kliegl reinhold.kliegl at gmail.com
Tue May 24 07:27:59 CEST 2016

There is another kind of power issue involved as well:  Keeping spurious
variance components in the model leads to significant loss in statistical
power.

Stroup (2012, Generalized linear mixed models: Modern concepts, methods and
applications, p. 185):
"Neither the [maximal] nor the [minimal] linear mixed models are
appropriate for most repeated measures analysis. Using the [maximal] model
is generally wasteful and costly in terms of statistical power for testing
hypotheses. On the other hand, the [minimal] model fails to account for
nontrivial correlation among repeated measurements. This results in
inflated [T]ype I error rates when non-negligible correlation does in fact
exist. We can usually find middle ground, a covariance model that
adequately accounts for correlation but is more parsimonious than the
[maximal] model. Doing so allows us full control over [T]ype I error rates
without needlessly sacrificing power."

See also:  http://arxiv.org/abs/1511.01864