[R-sig-ME] Question about random effects

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Mon May 23 17:57:31 CEST 2016

  I agree, although I'll also say that if you are faced with a power
imbalance (reviewer/supervisor/etc. insists that it should be removed),
in the case where the random effect variance is estimated as zero there
is really very little (no?) *practical* difference in this case between
keeping or removing the random effect. In particular, the estimates of
any other variance components in the model, as well as all of the
contents of summary() [point estimates and Wald standard errors of
fixed-effect of coefficients] should be identical (try it and see).

  cheers
    Ben Bolker