[R-sig-ME] Justification to exclude random effect

Baldwin, Jim -FS jbaldwin at fs.fed.us
Tue May 10 02:36:24 CEST 2016

I'm not seeing enough information to make such a decision - although in any event, I don't see that the slight additional complexity of a single random effect would warrant the need to re-run the analysis without it.  Plus, if the random effect was part of the experimental layout, then (other than maybe having too few levels to be able to estimate adequately it as a random effect) it ought to be in the model.

Does this deal with count data or something more continuous?  Are the residuals well behaved?

Jim