[R-sig-ME] GLMM: tricking software to estimate normal error at lower level

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 03:55:37 CEST 2016

Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 at ...> writes:

> Thanks for the help last week on GLMM estimators.  I'm gradually
> figuring this out.

   Some *very* quick responses to a good question (if I wait this
will just get buried in the e-mail pile).

1. The general strategy you're describing (lognormal-Poisson error
via observation-level random effect) has been discussed on this list
before, I think: it's in the GLMM FAQ, the new version of which is at

https://rawgit.com/bbolker/mixedmodels-misc/master/glmmFAQ.html

(search for "overdispersion")

2.  When you predict from the model with the observation-level
random effects, you should leave out those terms: use re.form=~0
or re.form=NULL if the observation-level RE is the only random
effect in your model, otherwise use an appropriate re.form that
includes only the higher-level groups.  That should make the predictions
make a lot more sense.

3. I'm not sure your convergence problems are actually that bad
(i.e. false positive); do the results from different optimizers
agree reasonably well?  (I would compare "bobyqa" and "nloptwrap")

4. It doesn't make sense to specify a family argument with glmer.nb

  cheers
    Ben Bolker

 [I'm deleting a huge amount below because I'm posting via gmane, which
doesn't like too much quoted stuff -- argh.)