[R-sig-ME] On what basis one of the predictors/fixed factors should be included in a random slope model?

Alex Fine abfine at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 18:09:15 CEST 2016

You may want to check out the response to that paper, which was pretty well
received:  http://arxiv.org/abs/1506.04967

Somewhat unconventionally, here is a facebook thread where a subset of the
authors of each paper talked about it:
https://www.facebook.com/alex.b.fine.9/posts/10102858621451518

A couple quick notes:

1.  I think the basic consensus is that, when using LMMs for hypothesis
testing, you must use the random effects to do what virtually every other
framework for hypothesis testing does, which is account for sources of
variation that may lead to Type I error.  So if "gender" is an experimental
manipulation that might vary depending on item, you should include it.

2.  Does it make sense to have a by-speaker random slope for gender?  This
implies that a given speaker could have either gender.  Without getting too
far afield, I doubt this was indeed the case in your design.  In the
terminology of the Barr et al. paper, a by-speaker random slope for gender
is not "justified by the design".

3.  Do not trust or report a model with an error warning.