[R-sig-ME] Mixed Models

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 17:06:33 CET 2016

    More specifically, "fixed effect model matrix is rank-deficient"
means that several of your predictor variables are perfectly collinear;
one way this could happen, e.g. is if "Dodgy" is a binary variable that
varies only across tanks (i.e. some tanks are dodgy, some are not), so
that once Tank is in the model as a fixed effect, Dodgy gives no further
information.

fixef(areamod,add.dropped=TRUE)  should give you some more hints about
which variables were dropped (but not directly which ones they were
collinear with, although you may able to guess at that point).

   It does seem like a good idea to include confounders/moderators as
fixed effects.  Perhaps you should consider including Tank as a random
effect (i.e. (1|Tank)), which might also take care of your collinearity
problem?