[R-sig-ME] Mixed Models

Neil French Collier neilandertal at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 16:57:59 CET 2016

Hi Jessica,

It's likely that you don't have enough data to fit the model you described.
These are more like stats questions (i.e. what factors to include), but I
think if you provide more information about your problem (A reproducible
example) then you might get more help. See here for how to do this:
http://adv-r.had.co.nz/Reproducibility.html.

Cheers,

Neil

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 4:45 PM, Jessica Witt <jes-w at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I’m very new to mixed modelling so please forgive me for this! I am trying
> to see the repeatability of a behaviour for individuals e.g. the area
> travelled, but I’ve also got a number of variables that could confound this
> so am I right in including these as fixed factors?
>
> Furthermore I’ve written the code but it’s not giving me anything and I’m
> pretty unsure what the error message means, if someone could explain to me
> any modifications I need in my R code to get the repeatability of area
> travelled that would be amazing!
>
> areamod<-lmer(Area~1+Sex+Temp+Mass+Length+Dodgy+Tank+Order+(1|ID),
> data=platy, na.action=na.exclude, REML=TRUE)
> fixed-effect model matrix is rank deficient so dropping 1 column /
> coefficient

Cheers,

Neil

Neil French Collier, PhD