[R-sig-ME] Time as both fixed and random term

paul debes paul.debes at utu.fi
Wed Nov 25 08:42:16 CET 2015

Hi Lionel & List,

An easy-to-implement approach estimating overall time trends (i.e.,
including Time as a fixed effect) while accounting for deviations from
this trend for each plot could be to include random Time-by-Plot trends.
This will result in the 'right' degrees of freedom for the overall time
trend (have you thought about possible Treatment-by-Time interactions?) so
statement ii) may be true if the Time trend varies among Plots or if you
want to account for your study design in terms of Time. Possible meanings
of including "Time" as both a fixed and a random term was just recently
discussed by the list, but I think here you actually refer to having a
random Time-by-Plot interaction term in your model.

Nevertheless, you can model this potential within-plot across-time data
correlation by many other different ways, depending on your data. The
above-mentioned random coefficient model (fitting random Time trends for
each Plot) is only one way and your data may fit other covariance models
better (e.g., when treating Time as a factor: ar1, us, ante, etc). Maybe
it is best you check a book on time series models to get a better overview
what is possible and how to decide on an adequate covariance structure for
your data.
Not all of the many possible covariance structures can be fitted in lme4,
nlme may be more flexible.

One of the most complicated covariance structures (that needs loads of
data) to start with would be:
Biomass ~ Treatment + Time + (factor(Time)|Plot)

One of the least complicated would be:
Biomass ~ Treatment + Time + (Time|Plot)

Hope this helps,
Paul