[R-sig-ME] Linear mixed model - heterogeneity

Etn bot etnbot1 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 16:15:45 CEST 2015

I have a run a linear mixed effects model in R to model clinical data,
however this model is heteroscedastic (as there excess zeros in the
response variable)....

I have tried transforming the data (log transform) and (sqrt), however
neither transformation resolve the issue (see residual versus fitted value
plot). I have not used cox proportional hazards model as the data is not
time-to-event data, the data measures force and there are a large number of
observations have a reading of zero. I cannot exclude these readings as
they are valid.

I have found a R package that runs Tobit regression (AER), however this
will not accommodate the random effects in the model. I cannot find any R
packages that run Weibull mixed effects models (or gamma mixed effects
models)...

Does anyone know if there is a package to run these type of models? (or can
they suggest any alternative approach).

Many thanks

Etn