[R-sig-ME] Linear mixed model - heterogeneity

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 02:10:09 CET 2015

lme4 will run Gamma mixed models, but these don't accomodate zeros.  I
don't think Weibull will either.  You're also right that
transformation won't generally solve these problems. There are very
few positive distributions, not considering censored variants of
real-valued distributions, that will naively allow zeros.   You could
run a two-stage model (Bernoulli model for zero vs non-zero, then a
positive-distribution model for the conditional effects on the
non-zero values only).

The cplm package allows tweedie mixed models, which might work for
you. AD Model Builder and Template Model Builder will allow you to fit
fixed models from any distribution you can specify (with a generic
Laplace approximation engine built in), but the learning curve is
pretty steep ...

It's important in this case to consider the source of your zeros.  Are
they below minimal detection limits (in which case something like a
Tobit is appropriate)?  Do they represent a separate process (in which
case two-stage models are sensible)? Or ... ?