[R-sig-ME] How to know if random intercepts and slopes are, necessary for glmer.nb model

David Jones david.tn.jones at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 13:24:02 CEST 2015

Thank you for this input Alain - it will be very helpful as I hammer things
out. Reviewers did specifically ask for negative binomial so I am trying to
give them what they want ... not that this would be a good excuse if it
were the only rationale. I do share with you with a cringe at the prospects
of running a zero truncated model on this dataset :)

Also, following up on Ben Bolker's answers,

I found in a couple of previous posts by Ben that absolute gradient below
.001 or so is good (sorry I didn't see the first time when I had searched -
posts can be found at https://goo.gl/SxUev4 and https://goo.gl/LnyDGA). So,
correct me if I am wrong, but given that all of my absolute gradients were
well below this, looks like things are good for the random intercept models
at least! The random slopes model results are tough, but I probably can
live without them if necessary ... perhaps will eventually find a way to
see if it is negligible random slopes that is causing this or another
reason, and any suggestions given the warnings/errors are welcome (I am
happy to provide more info if it is helpful).