[R-sig-ME] Likelihood Ratio Test for non-nested mixed-effect-model comparison

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 20:18:43 CEST 2015

  The Vuong test <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vuong's_closeness_test>
provides a likelihood-based framework for distinguishing between
non-nested models.  I'm not immediately aware of an implementation that
works with mixed models in R, but you could look around (library("sos");
findFn("vuong") and screen the results for applicability ...)

  As a crude alternative you could do something parametric bootstrap-y
by simulating from each fitted model, fitting each realization with both
fitted models, and comparing the goodness of fit distributions (that's
intentionally vague, I haven't thought about it very much ...)

  Ben Bolker