[R-sig-ME] Likelihood Ratio Test for non-nested mixed-effect-model comparison

Francesco Sigona francesco.sigona at unisalento.it
Fri Oct 23 17:40:06 CEST 2015

Hi all,

I need to compare two mixed-effects-models that would explain a
dependent variable by means of two completely different sets of fixed
factors (my random intercept is the same in both models).

I understand that the anova() cannot be used to perform a comparison via
LRTest in my case, because my models are non-nested.

Thus, I would take the model with the lowest AIC (o BIC) value, but I am
worried about the statistical significance, so I would prefer a LRTest
and the related p-value (as provided by anova() for nested models) to
support my model selection.

My problem is that I don't know how to compare two non-nested
mixed-effect-models via a LRTest.

Any suggestion?

Thank you in advance.

Francesco

--
*Francesco SIGONA*
Electronics engineer

*Center for Interdisciplinary Research on Language (CRIL)
<http://www.cril.unisalento.it> &
Cognitive Neuroscience of Language and Speech Sciences Lab (CNLSS) *
*Dipartimento di Studi umanistici
Università del Salento *