[R-sig-ME] Likelihood Ratio Test for non-nested mixed-effect-model comparison

Merkle, Edgar C. merklee at missouri.edu
Sat Oct 24 21:02:49 CEST 2015

Ben, Francesco,

I have developed a package, nonnest2, that implements the Vuong tests (multiple test statistics) for many types of R models including glm() models.  I believe we will soon be able to add models estimated via lmer().  For an overview of the Vuong test statistics (mostly in the context of structural equation models, but the idea is the same regardless), see my paper here:

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1402.6720v3

We have also been interested in getting the tests to work with models estimated via glmer().  The problem is that the tests require scores of the fitted model (casewise first derivatives of the log-likelihood evaluated at the ML estimates), and it is difficult to obtain scores when the likelihood involves an intractable integral.  My students and I have tentatively concluded that there is no way to use the lme4 source in order to obtain the scores because pirls generally avoids dealing directly with the likelihood.  But I would be happy to hear hints otherwise.

Best,
Ed Merkle