[R-sig-ME] A question about LME4

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Tue Aug 11 17:37:08 CEST 2015

As Ben mentioned in his off-list reply to you, the paper
http://arxiv.org/abs/1406.5823 describes in some detail the computational
methods that are used in lme4.  The fact that they don't correspond to
those in the 2006 paper by Gurka in The American Statistician is not an
oversight.  They are quite superior to any methods based on the equations
in that paper, as they should be.  We have spent the last 20 years or so
developing them.