[R-sig-ME] A question about LME4

Steve Walker steve.walker at utoronto.ca
Tue Aug 11 19:05:45 CEST 2015

On 2015-08-11 11:37 AM, Douglas Bates wrote:
> As Ben mentioned in his off-list reply to you, the paper
> http://arxiv.org/abs/1406.5823 describes in some detail the computational
> methods that are used in lme4.

This arxiv paper (in press at JSS) is pretty long, although hopefully
comprehensive.  To help pinpoint things a bit check out equations 34 and
41.  These give the ML and REML criteria (on the deviance scale) that
are used within lmer.

> The fact that they don't correspond to
> those in the 2006 paper by Gurka in The American Statistician is not an
> oversight.  They are quite superior to any methods based on the equations
> in that paper, as they should be.  We have spent the last 20 years or so
> developing them.

To expand on these remarks a bit, both the fixed effects coefficient
vector and residual variance parameter are profiled out, which makes
computations more efficient.  Also, correlations among random effects
are partly accounted for in these equations using the log determinant of
a sparse Cholesky factor, which is very efficiently updated over
iterations of the nonlinear optimizer.

Cheers,
Steve