[R-sig-ME] A question about LME4

Subhash.Chandra at ecodev.vic.gov.au Subhash.Chandra at ecodev.vic.gov.au
Tue Aug 11 00:42:20 CEST 2015

Appreciate your help and advice on (hopefully a simple) question. This
relates to the mathematical expressions that LME4 uses to estimate log
likelihood under maximum likelihood (ML) and under residual maximum
likelihood (ReML) for fitting linear mixed models (LMM). What I am
'exactly' looking for is mathematical expressions for log likelihood in
the form of expressions (2), (4) and (5) in the attached paper by Gurka
(2006).

I have gone through the LME4 documentation
https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/lme4/vignettes/lmer.pdf
https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/lme4/vignettes/Theory.pdf

I must admit I am unable to figure out the answer to my question.

Regards,
Subhash

Dr Subhash Chandra | Chief Biometrician
Agriculture Research & Development Division
Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport & Resources
255 Ferguson Road, Tatura 3616, Victoria, Australia
T:  03 5833 5397 | M: 0427 277 560 | E: Subhash.Chandra at ecodev.vic.gov.au

Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources, Government of
Victoria, Victoria, Australia.

This email, and any attachments, may contain privileged and confidential
information.  If you are not the intended recipient, you may not distribute or
reproduce this e-mail or the attachments.  If you have received this message in
error, please notify us by return email.