[R-sig-ME] clustered data with glmer() and glmmPQL()

Thierry Onkelinx thierry.onkelinx at inbo.be
Mon Jun 15 16:34:38 CEST 2015

Dear Maria,

The assumption of normality is only required for the residuals of linear
(mixed) models, not for the residuals of generalised linear (mixed) models.

You can't use aov() for two reasons: it assumes a Gaussian distribution and
it assumes independent observations.

mod1 and mod2 are in principle the same model (but fitted differently).
Both assume the same correlation structure.

3 levels is not enough to get a sensible variance estimate for a random
effect. See glmm wiki faq for more details.

Best regards,

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Forest
Kliniekstraat 25