[R-sig-ME] Meta-analysis for heritability using MCMCglmm?

Jackie Wood jackiewood7 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 18:10:51 CET 2015

Hi Jarrod,

We were finally able to dig into the statistical analysis of our
heritability data (as a reminder, we are conducting a meta-analysis
investigating heritability in relation to population size) and of course a
few questions have come up.

You had mentioned examining the residuals for the model. This may seem like
a "beginner" question, how does one extract the residuals from MCMCglmm?
The residuals.mcmcglmm function does not work. Summary plots of the MCMC
parameter estimates appear to be roughly normally distributed, and the
traces seem fine. Is this what you were referring to? We ran an unweighted
analysis (heritability estimates without SEs) in both MCMCglmm and lmer to
see if they give similar results, and they are basically concordant as
well. However, the residual distribution for the models run in lmer
(treating heritability as gaussian) is slightly skewed. These are from an
unweighted analysis, though, as I have also read that lme4 is unsuitable
for conducting formal weighted meta-analyses.

We also had a few questions that we thought would be worth discussing about
some methodological issues relating to incorporating common estimates of
heritability in the literature. Bayesian methodologies have become
increasingly popular to use when estimating trait heritabilities, but
bayesian estimates do not provide typical standard error or variance
estimates, as parent-offspring/ANOVA/REML methods do. Published bayesian
heritability estimates typically only include asymmetric confidence
intervals, and we unsure whether these can be translated into variance
estimates that can be used to weight our meta-analysis. For now, we plan on
performing a weighted meta-analysis using heritability estimates that
provide S.E.s, and an additional unweighted analysis that will include the
bayesian point-estimates we have collected from the literature. We were
wondering if you resolved this issue in your own heritability meta-analysis
and knew of a way to incorporate bayesian estimates (which form a
considerable proportion of the suitable heritability estimates available,
at least in recent history) into a formal weighted meta-analysis.

Additionally, we were wondering about the suitability of DIC to conduct
model selection for our analysis of heritability. I recall reading on this
SIG list that you had mentioned that there were potential issues using DIC
for hierarchical models as well as non-gaussian data. Since we're treating
heritability as gaussian, would it still be appropriate?

Any advise would be much appreciated!

--
Jacquelyn L.A. Wood, PhD.
Biology Department