[R-sig-ME] Meta-analysis for heritability using MCMCglmm?

Jarrod Hadfield j.hadfield at ed.ac.uk
Sat Feb 14 09:34:41 CET 2015

Hi Jackie,

1/ For the residuals you can do:

my_data$y-predict(my_model)

In the code above the predictions are marginal with respect to the
random effects. If you want the predictions to include the random
effects then use:

my_data$y-predict(my_model, marginal=NULL)

2/ I don't have a good solution for the weighted analysis. In fact we
didn't do a weighted analysis in the end because only about 50% of
studies provided standard errors. We figured that we lost more power
by discarding the 50% than we would gain by incorporating information
about the relative precision of different estimates. REML standard
errors are based on the sampling distribution of estimates tending to
the normal as n goes to infinity. In reality the sampling distribution
will be skewed (particularly when h2 and/or sample size is low) like
the posterior distribution. Its far from perfect but you could use the
standard error given by:

0.5*((u95-pm)/qnorm(0.975)+(l95-pm)/qnorm(0.025))

where l95 and u95 are the lower and upper 95% credible intervals and
pm is the posterior mean/mode.  The motivation behind this is *if* the
posterior was normal and the asymmetry in the 95% credible intervals
was just due to Monte Carlo error then this would be the best estimate
of the posterior standard deviation (sort of like a standard error)
given the information at hand. Not great justification!

3/ DIC (as focussed in MCMCglmm) is not a reliable model selection
criterion for scientific inference. For Gaussian resopnses you could
refocus DIC at the correct level post-analysis and then it would be
more reliable. I should probably write a function to do this ....

Cheers,

Jarrod

Quoting Jackie Wood <jackiewood7 at gmail.com> on Sun, 1 Feb 2015 12:10:51 -0500: