[R-sig-ME] glmmadmb function

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 04:28:06 CET 2014

  [taking the liberty of cc'ing to r-sig-mixed-models]

  How badly/why do you need to use glmmadmb?  So far I don't see
anything in the model that requires it (you've got binary data, so
zero-inflation won't be relevant ...)  I'd recommend glmer (which
takes about a minute even with all of the fastest settings I know
about, so glmmadmb is likely to be much slower).  I might even
recommend gamm4, which would allow you to fit smooth responses to
ResDist ...

  There are some updated binaries of glmmadmb that might fix the
problem -- I haven't gotten around to putting them into the package
yet, but if you say why you need glmmadmb I can post some information
about how to update the binaries on your system ...

L <- load("CoyoteAllData.RData")
library("ggplot2"); theme_set(theme_bw())
library("mgcv")
ggplot(all.data,aes(x=ResDist,y=Used,colour=Sex,shape=Status,linetype=Status))+
    geom_point(position=position_jitter(height=0.05),alpha=0.2)+
        facet_wrap(~LandCover)+
        geom_smooth(method="gam",family=binomial)

nrow(all.data)
library("lme4")
system.time(g1 <- glmer(Used~Sex+Status+LandCover+ResDist+(1 |ID),
            data=all.data, family=binomial(link="logit"),
            control=glmerControl(optimizer=nloptwrap)))

table(all.data$Used)