[R-sig-ME] Post model fitting checks in Metafor (rma.mv)

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (STAT) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Wed Sep 3 11:28:04 CEST 2014

Dear Shona,

The profile() function in metafor allows you to examine the profiled (restricted) log-likelihood for a particular parameter. So, ideally, you should do this for each variance component and correlation in the model (in your case, sigma2, tau2 and rho). I am not sure what you mean by: " how I know which value to specify for each?" After you have fitted your model and stored the results in, let's say, 'res', then just do:

par(mfrow=c(3,1))
profile(res, sigma2=1)
profile(res, tau2=1)
profile(res, rho=1)

to get all three profile plots. And yes, the functions should peak at the parameter estimates. If a function is flat, then this suggests that the model is overparameterized.

You could also look at how quickly the log-likelihood drops off as you move away from the parameter estimate. The bounds of a 95% profile likelihood CI for a particular parameter would be those two values from the x-axis where the log-likelihood has dropped by 3.84/2. You could add

abline(h = logLik(res) - qchisq(.95, df=1)/2, lty="dotted")

to the figures to see that cutoff. Depending on how much data you have, you may find that those CIs are quite wide. You may have to increase the x-axis range, in case the cutoff isn't reached within the range chosen by default by the profile function (use the 'xlim' argument).

Indeed, you could also look at the (standardized) residuals. Use

rstandard(res)$z

to get those values. Or:

plot(fitted(res), rstandard(res)$z, pch=19)

to create a fitted values versus standardized residuals plot.

As for the interpretation of the results when you exclude the intercept (i.e., mods = ~ Age + Treatment + Biomarker - 1), you will get the estimated (average) effect for each level of 'Age', but the coefficients for 'Treatment' and 'Biomarker' are still going to be contrasts that indicate how much higher/lower the (average) effect is for the levels indicated, relative to the reference level.

I hope this helps!

Best,
Wolfgang