[R-sig-ME] Post model fitting checks in Metafor (rma.mv)

Shona Smith s.smith.7 at research.gla.ac.uk
Tue Sep 2 18:36:31 CEST 2014

Hi all,

I am currently conducting a meta-analysis using rma.mv in metafor.  My model uses Hedges’ d (converted to g) and includes 3 moderators (age-3 levels; treatment-5 levels; biomarker-3 levels).  I have included 3 random effects: species nested within taxonomic class (since I have more than one study for some species, and species are spread over 7 taxonomic classes) and study separately.  So my code is as follows:

rma.mv(yi, vi, mods = ~ Age + Treatment + Biomarker, random = list(~ 1 | Study, ~ Species | Taxonomic.class), data=mydata)

I was wondering what the best method for post model fitting checks was in rma.mv?  I know in the reference manual it mentions profile.rma to create a plot of the restricted log likelihood and I have done so.  However, I wondered if I need to plot all 3 variables (sigma2, tau2 and rho) and also how I know which value to specify for each?  Am I correct in that I should see a clear peak in each graph?  Is there anything else I should be looking for?

For post model fitting checks should I also look at residual normality and residual against fitted values, as would be done for a typical mixed model?  I think the standardised residuals are best for this – I can get them with rstandard.rma.mv, but it does not allow me to plot them.

Finally, when I include the intercept in the model, I can see if there are significant differences among moderator levels.  However, I was wondering what the output includes when the intercept is not included: is this the overall effect size estimates for each moderator level?

Kind regards,
Shona

Shona Smith
PhD Student