[R-sig-ME] Random effects in clmm() of package ordinal

Malcolm Fairbrother M.Fairbrother at bristol.ac.uk
Fri Aug 29 18:41:26 CEST 2014

Hi Christian,

The ordinal package (which is otherwise very handy) does not allow for
random slopes (only random intercepts), so I don't think you can have
tested what you think you tested using that package.

You could try the MCMCglmm package instead, which allows for ordinal models
*and* random slopes.

Regarding random slopes more generally, Barr et al.'s (2013) paper "Random
effects structure for confirmatory hypothesis testing: Keep it maximal"
shows pretty definitively that not allowing for random slopes can often be
anticonservative. So if there's a gap between the p values you get with and
without random slopes, I'd be more inclined to trust the value *with*
random slopes.

Hope that's useful.

Cheers,
Malcolm