[R-sig-ME] Random effects in clmm() of package ordinal

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 14:49:43 CEST 2014

On 14-08-29 07:31 AM, Christian Brauner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> fitting linear mixed models it is often suggested that testing for random
> effects is not the best idea; mainly because the value of the random
> effects parameters lie at the boundary of the parameter space. Hence, it
> is preferred to not test for random effects and rather judge the inclusion
> of a random effect by the design of the experiment. Or if one really wants
> to do this use computation intensive methods like parametric bootstraps
> etc. I have adapted the strategy of not testing for random effects with
> linear mixed models.
>
> Now I'm in a situation were I need to analyse ordinal data in a repeated
> measures design. The package I decided would best suit this purpose is the
> ordinal package (suggestions of alternatives are of course welcome). And
> this got me wondering about random effects again. I was testing a random
> effect (in fact by accidence as I did a faulty automated regexp
> substitution) and it got a p of 0.99. More precisely I was testing for the
> significance of a random slope in contrast to only including a random
> intercept. As the boundary-of-parameter-space argument is about maximum
> likelihood estimation in general it also applies to the proportional odds
> cummulative mixed model. But, and here is were I'm unsure what to do in
> this particular case the inclusion of a random slope in the clmm will turn
> a p of 0.004 into 0.1 for my main effect. In contrast all other methods
> (e.g.  treating my response not as an ordered factor but as a continuous
> variable and using a repeated measures anova) will give me a p of 0.004.
> This is the only reason why I'm concerned about this. This difference
> worries me and I'm unsure of what to do. Is it advisable to test here for
> a random effect?
>
> Best,
> Christian

  It sounds like something else is going on.  In my experience the
advice to not test random effects is based more on philosophy (the
random effects are often a nuisance variable that is implicit in the
experimental design, and is generally considered necessary for
appropriate inference -- see e.g. Hurlbert 1984 _Ecology_ on
"sacrificial pseudoreplication") than on the difficulties of inference
for random effects (boundary effects, finite-size effects, etc.).  A
large p-value either means that the point estimate of the RE variance is
small, or that its confidence interval is very large (or both);
especially in the former case, it is indeed surprising that its
inclusion should change inference so much.

  That's about as much as I think it's possible to say without more
detail.  I would suggest double-checking your data and model diagnostics
(is there something funny about the data and model fit?) and comparing
point estimates and confidence intervals from the different fits to try
to understand what the different models are saying about the data (not
just why the p-value changes so much).
Are you using different types of p-value estimation in different models
(Wald vs LRT vs ... ?) ?  Are you inducing complete separation or severe
imbalance by including the RE?  Is one of your random-effect levels
confounded with your main effect (an example along these lines came up
on the list a few months ago:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mixed-models/2014q2/022188.html )?

  good luck
    Ben Bolker