[R-sig-ME] How to fix the value of random intercepts (lmer/MCMCglmm)

Jarrod Hadfield j.hadfield at ed.ac.uk
Mon Aug 25 17:54:18 CEST 2014

Hi,

There will be strong dependencies between observations not captured in
the model and this is likely to result in spurious results.

To see this, take Y(x) as the cumulative number of offspring at age x,
and y(x) as the number of offspring produced at age x then Y(1) =
y(1), Y(2) = y(1) + y(2), Y(3) = y(1) + y(2) + y(3) and so on...

Why not model the number of offspring at each age (i.e. y(x)), and
then work out the consequences of this model for total number of
offspring at a given age ?  For example, if the regression of y(x) on
age is zero, then Y(x) increases linearly, and if the regression is
negative it is decelerating etc.

Cheers,

Jarrod

Quoting "PATRICK, Samantha" <spatrick at glos.ac.uk> on Mon, 25 Aug 2014
15:41:30 +0000:

> Hi Jarrod
>
> The structure of the data is:
>
> Y = Cumulative number of offspring.
> X = Age.  Age is mean centred so the intercept is at 22 years old.
> This is where the intercepts are fitted and for each individual I
> have an exact number of offspring at this age.
>
> I want to examine how the number of offspring increases with age.  I
> am using random slopes to examine within individual changes with
> age.  If I don't constrain the intercept at the individual level
> then the slope does not represent the actual increase with age, and
> you get results that are largely driven by the age at last sampling.
>   If I constrain the intercepts, as I understand, the slope will
> represent the actual increase in fitness with age for each individual.
>
> Happy to post data if this is not clear enough/it would help.
>
> Thanks
>
> Sam
>

> Dr Samantha Patrick
> Research Fellow
> Biosciences QU116
> Francis Close Hall Campus
> University of Gloucestershire
> Cheltenham, GL50 4AZ, UK
>
> Research Associate: OxNav, University of Oxford
>
> ******From 1st August - 14th November 2014 I will be
> based in Montréal, which is 5 hours behind GMT  ******
>
> Tel: 07740 472 719

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.