[R-sig-ME] using Poisson glmer for non-integer data

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 05:34:12 CEST 2014

 [cc'ing to r-sig-mixed-models]

  I don't think it's crazy to use a Poisson distribution with
non-integer response values in some cases, but you're correct that
non-integer response values don't work in lme4 at present.  In
principle we could dig down and fix the problem (feel free to post an
issue at https://github.com/lme4/lme4/issues, with a simple
reproducible example ...) but I have to say it's not very high on our
list, because these are (usually? often?) cases where the original
model is somewhat suspect anyway.  I can suggest the following
workarounds:

  * try another package such as glmmML or glmmPQL
  * use an offset that characterizes the total lifespan; if you use
offset(log(lifespan)) that will effectively model success per unit
lifespan, and if you include log(lifespan) as a predictor (with the
standard log link) that will effectively model success as proportional
to (lifespan)^b, where b is a parameter to be estimated.

  Other discussion of Poisson with non-integer values

http://www.r-bloggers.com/poisson-regression-on-non-integers/
http://stats.stackexchange.com/questions/38530/how-does-a-poisson-distribution-work-when-modeling-continuous-data-and-does-it-r/38588#38588
http://stats.stackexchange.com/questions/70054/how-is-it-possible-that-poisson-glm-accepts-non-integer-numbers

  sincerely