[R-sig-ME] Mixed Model Specification

Lionel hughes.dupond at gmx.de
Thu Jun 26 23:17:46 CEST 2014

Dear Tom,

Here are my thoughts on your question:
In mixed effect models the aim is to account for the variation present
in the random terms when the standard error around the coefficients of
the fixed effect part is computed. As you have only one replicate per
site you cannot assess this variation. For this dataset I would drop the
site variable since any statistical method I know of need some kind of
assessment of the variation due to a variable to derive inference.

Hope this help,
Lionel