[R-sig-ME] Anomalous results with glmer().

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Wed May 28 04:26:31 CEST 2014

Thanks Ben.  I now feel that there is hope! :-)

On 28/05/14 14:14, Ben Bolker wrote:

<SNIP>

>    As for explaining the 'crazy' result, if it actually turns out to be
> (close to) the MLE for this data set: I would look at pictures of the
> data, predictions, etc., and try to see if there's some sort of
> confounder/Simpson's paradox thing going on here where the marginal
> effect (= raw tabulation) is in fact very different from the conditional
> effect ...

I have tried to think of ways, like Simpson's paradox, to explain the
anomaly, but nothing sensible comes to me.  If anyone can point me in
the right direction .....

And is it not weird that the old version gives an intuitively plausible
estimate for the Mclus coefficient whereas the new version doesn't?

cheers,

Rolf