[R-sig-ME] Anomalous results with glmer().

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Wed May 28 04:14:56 CEST 2014

  I will try to have a look.
  I agree that the positive variance estimates seem (much) more sensible
in a data set of this size ...

  Obviously it will take me a little while to get all the fits done on a
data set of this non-trivial size, but here are some preliminary thoughts:

 * I will try out the 'allFit.R' code mentioned on the mailing list
previously just to see how the results from 5 or 6 different optimizers
compare.
 * I will try lme4.0 and hope to get results the same as lme4 0.999999-0
 * I will evaluate the deviances of both the old and new fits to see
which fit is actually better, and use bbmle::slicetrans to look at the
shape of the likelihood surface between the two points

  As for explaining the 'crazy' result, if it actually turns out to be
(close to) the MLE for this data set: I would look at pictures of the
data, predictions, etc., and try to see if there's some sort of
confounder/Simpson's paradox thing going on here where the marginal
effect (= raw tabulation) is in fact very different from the conditional
effect ...

  Ben Bolker