[R-sig-ME] error distribution or transformation for Acid-neutralizing-capacity (ANC)

ONKELINX, Thierry Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be
Wed Apr 23 09:44:36 CEST 2014

A more radical approach is to alter the definition of ANC: take the ratio of the sum of cations and the sum of the anions rather than their difference. Then you can apply the log transformation without problems (assuming neither the cations or anions sum to zero).

Best regards,

Thierry

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Research Institute for Nature and Forest
Kliniekstraat 25
1070 Anderlecht
Belgium
+ 32 2 525 02 51
+ 32 54 43 61 85
Thierry.Onkelinx op inbo.be
www.inbo.be

To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no more than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to say what the experiment died of.
~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher

The plural of anecdote is not data.
~ Roger Brinner

The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of data.
~ John Tukey