[R-sig-ME] Mixed Models - remedy for pseudoreplication?

Jens Oldeland fbda005 at uni-hamburg.de
Tue Jul 30 16:13:45 CEST 2013

Dear Thierry,

sorry for beeing imprecise, I provided clearer details below

- do you create 6 plates on day 0 and measure them on day 1, 2, ... or do you fill a new plate each day with the content of the flasks?
> We filled a new plate each day and the contents of the flasks also were newly mixed every day. However, the source within the flasks remained the same, i.e. cancer cells.

- how are the flasks distributed over the plates? Each well come for a different flask? Or all wells from the same column come from one flash?
> every day the content of one newly mixed solution was put on a 96 well plate. on the plate, different treatments were applied. thus, the content from the flask was always the same however differed per day due to slightly different temperatures in the lab per day etc. so all columns receive the same material from the flask, but different treatments were applied (per column) that should reduce growth of cancer cells.

So to say, there was one set of materials (flasks, cancer cells, tubes) that were mixed together on 6 different days, every day a new set uo was produced.

thank you already!

Dr. Jens Oldeland

Post-Doc Researcher & Lecturer @ BEE
Managing Editor - Biodiversity & Ecology

Biodiversity, Ecology and Evolution of Plants (BEE)
Biocentre Klein Flottbek and Botanical Garden
University of Hamburg
Ohnhorststr. 18
22609 Hamburg,
Germany