[R-sig-ME] Mixed Models - remedy for pseudoreplication?

ONKELINX, Thierry Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be
Tue Jul 30 17:11:41 CEST 2013

Dear Jens,

I would suggest that you make a list of all elements in you design that can influence the result: e.g. treatment, tube, flask, day, plate, column, day:flask interaction, ...
- Eliminate the non-relevant ones (e.g. maybe column).
- Eliminate the ones that have only one level (flask?)
- Some will be confounding. If you have only one flask and do one plate each day, then you cannot separate the effect of day, plate and the interaction of day and flask. You have to choose one (e.g. day) and this will model the combined effect. If you want to separate those effects, then you will have to change your design.
- Make a model with the remain variables. lme(response  ~ treatment, random =  ~1|day) might be what you need.

Best regards,

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Research Institute for Nature and Forest
Kliniekstraat 25
1070 Anderlecht
Belgium
+ 32 2 525 02 51
+ 32 54 43 61 85
Thierry.Onkelinx op inbo.be
www.inbo.be

To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no more than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to say what the experiment died of.
~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher

The plural of anecdote is not data.
~ Roger Brinner

The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of data.
~ John Tukey