[R-sig-ME] within-group averaging

Jarrod Hadfield j.hadfield at ed.ac.uk
Thu Nov 29 11:13:57 CET 2012

Hi David,

Thank you for the email. I hadn't come across the term coarsening
before, but I see from the paper that you sent that what I described
is nonignorable coarsening. Now to try and deal with it, without
(hopefully) having to augment with the true values of x.

Cheers,

Jarrod

Quoting David Duffy <David.Duffy at qimr.edu.au> on Thu, 29 Nov 2012
20:01:39 +1000:

> On Thu, 29 Nov 2012, Jarrod Hadfield wrote:
>
>> Hi Jonas,
>>
>> Thanks for your reply. Initially, I thought it was solely to do
>> with inhomogeneity too, and I agree that it plays a role. However,
>> if you replace
>> cuty<-cut(y,10) with cuty<-cut(x,10) (i.e. define groups by bins of
>> x rather than y) then the problems with bias and type-I error rate
>> disappear despite the same pattern of inhomogeneity existing.
>
> If you plot your xbar2_cuty v. xbar and xbar2_cutx v. xbar you will
> see the latter is symmetrical around the line of identity, while the
> former is biased in the direction of the y~x regression line. The
> nonrandom coarsening of a subset apparently can affect inference
>
> (A quick google obtained
> http://biostatistics.oxfordjournals.org/content/8/4/722.full)
>

> | David Duffy (MBBS PhD)                                         ,-_|\
> | email: davidD at qimr.edu.au  ph: INT+61+7+3362-0217 fax: -0101  /     *
> | Epidemiology Unit, Queensland Institute of Medical Research   \_,-._/
> | 300 Herston Rd, Brisbane, Queensland 4029, Australia  GPG 4D0B994A v

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.