[R-sig-ME] within-group averaging

David Duffy David.Duffy at qimr.edu.au
Thu Nov 29 11:01:39 CET 2012

On Thu, 29 Nov 2012, Jarrod Hadfield wrote:

> Hi Jonas,
>
> Thanks for your reply. Initially, I thought it was solely to do with
> inhomogeneity too, and I agree that it plays a role. However, if you replace
> cuty<-cut(y,10) with cuty<-cut(x,10) (i.e. define groups by bins of x rather
> than y) then the problems with bias and type-I error rate disappear despite
> the same pattern of inhomogeneity existing.

If you plot your xbar2_cuty v. xbar and xbar2_cutx v. xbar you will see
the latter is symmetrical around the line of identity, while the former is
biased in the direction of the y~x regression line. The nonrandom
coarsening of a subset apparently can affect inference

(A quick google obtained
http://biostatistics.oxfordjournals.org/content/8/4/722.full)